A moderate conservative’s and moderate liberal’s call to action
With the coronavirus spreading and causing economic chaos, it will only amplify problems that existed when the economy was booming. Some examples include:
- Our middle class is dying out. We knew before the coronavirus that about 40% of Americans were living paycheck-to-paycheck. The fact that this number is so large shows how much our middle class is shrinking. Now government funds and food banks are the only way that almost half of our country will get through this recession.
- Our healthcare system is twice as expensive as in other developed countries (over $10,000 per person here vs. about $5,000 in almost every other country) and is rated the worst when compared to those in Europe and Canada. The inability to pay medical costs, even for those with insurance, is the cause of about 65% of personal bankruptcies in the U.S.
- We have a retirement crisis looming as upcoming generations have to work into old age. If you are young or middle aged you likely have little retirement savings because employee compensation has only gone up 13% since the 1970’s (while the stock market has gone up over 900%). In addition to this, few people, especially the young, have pensions as previous generations did. This is the case even though the U.S. is the richest country in the world.
- Climate change is destroying our country and our planet, but yet our government is not just doing nothing about it, it is actually fighting against efforts to control climate change. It is not just future generations that will pay the price for what is happening, it is already happening and we are paying the price for it today.
- Our federal debt is out of control and will soon reach $25 Trillion. The huge bill that has resulted from decades of irresponsible and short-sighted government tax and spending policies is now coming due. Are you ready to pay?
If you are frustrated and angry about all of this you should be. Remember that no matter who wins the presidential election this November, nothing will continue to get done because of gridlock. But you can’t just shrug and say there is nothing that I can do about it. There is.
The formation of a third major centrist tie-breaker political party is the only “mechanism” which will allow our country to move forward. You need to join the fight to form such a party. Remember that the U.S. is one of only a few countries in the world to have a two-party political system and it is no longer working. According to polls, the majority of Americans, including over 70% of millennials, want a third major party.
Moderates do things that make sense, we don’t agree with the Republicans or Democrats, and we need our own political party. If you are a moderate conservative or a moderate liberal, you are a moderate and you need to stand up for the fact that you are one. The people who now claim to be conservatives and liberals more often than not are either far-right wing or far-left wing. The terms conservative and liberal don’t mean what they used to mean any more. Be proud to be a moderate, stand up and reach out to others who are the same. Volunteer and support the Alliance Party (theallianceparty.com).